Bermuda grass is a popular choice for lawns and athletic fields because of its durability and tolerance to heat and drought. However, maintaining a healthy Bermuda grass lawn requires proper care, including regular watering, mowing, and fertilization. In this article, we will focus on the best fertilizer for Bermuda grass.
Fertilizers are essential for promoting healthy growth and maintaining the green color of Bermuda grass. The right fertilizer will provide the necessary nutrients, including nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium. However, not all fertilizers are created equal, and choosing the wrong one can do more harm than good.
When selecting a fertilizer for Bermuda grass, it’s essential to consider the type of grass you have, the time of year, and the soil conditions. For example, slow-release fertilizers are ideal for Bermuda grass because they release nutrients over an extended period, providing a steady supply of nutrients without causing excessive growth.
The critical thing to consider when choosing a fertilizer for Bermuda grass is the nitrogen content. Bermuda grass requires a high level of nitrogen to maintain its green color and promote growth. However, too much nitrogen can lead to excessive growth and thatch buildup, which can be detrimental to the health of the lawn.
In the next section, we will review the top fertilizers for Bermuda grass and provide a detailed analysis of each product. With our expert recommendations, you can ensure that your Bermuda grass lawn will remain healthy and vibrant throughout the year.
Best Fertilizer for Bermuda Grass
We’ve researched and tested numerous fertilizers to bring you the best options for maintaining a healthy Bermuda grass lawn. Bermuda grass requires a specific nutrient balance to thrive, and our roundup includes products that cater to these needs. Whether you’re looking for a slow-release option or a quick boost of nutrients, we’ve got you covered. Read on to find the best fertilizer for your Bermuda grass.
We highly recommend Simple Lawn Solutions’ 16-4-8 liquid fertilizer for Bermuda grass.
- This lawn food is perfect for maintaining a beautiful lawn and providing key macronutrients.
- It contains high-quality feed-grade ingredients that nourish your lawn with pure liquid nutrients in a ready-to-use sprayer.
- The 16-4-8 formula gives your grass greening and growth while providing nutrients for lush lawns.
- The concentrated solution may require more frequent applications than granular fertilizers.
- The fishy odor may be unpleasant to some users.
- It may be more expensive than other liquid fertilizers.
We used Simple Lawn Solutions’ 16-4-8 liquid fertilizer on our Bermuda grass and were impressed with the results. The easy-to-use sprayer made application a breeze, and the concentrated formula provided our lawn with the key macronutrients it needed to thrive. Our grass became greener and fuller, and we noticed a significant improvement in root growth.
One thing to keep in mind is that the concentrated formula may require more frequent applications than granular fertilizers. Additionally, the fishy odor may be unpleasant to some users, but it dissipates quickly after application.
Overall, we highly recommend Simple Lawn Solutions’ 16-4-8 liquid fertilizer for Bermuda grass. It’s a great option for maintaining a beautiful lawn and providing essential nutrients for healthy growth.
We highly recommend the Scotts Turf Builder Southern Lawn Fertilizer for Southern grass. It is an excellent fertilizer that is specially formulated for Southern lawns.
- The Scotts All-in-One Particles build strong, deep grass roots to protect against heat and drought.
- Safe to use on Southern grass.
- One bag covers a large area of 10,000 sq. ft.
- Not suitable for warm season grass types within 1 month of first expected frost.
- May require watering after application for faster results.
- Some users may find the product to be slightly expensive.
We have used the Scotts Turf Builder Southern Lawn Fertilizer on our lawn and have seen impressive results. The fertilizer works wonders in building strong, deep grass roots that protect against heat and drought. Moreover, it is safe to use on Southern grass, making it an ideal choice for homeowners in the region.
The product is easy to apply and can be used on both wet or dry lawns during the growing season. We recommend using a Scotts spreader to apply the product. For Scotts broadcast/rotary spreaders, use a setting of 3 ½. For Scotts drop spreaders, use a setting of 6.
The Scotts Turf Builder Southern Lawn Fertilizer is a bit expensive compared to other fertilizers in the market, but it is worth the investment. One 28.12 lb. bag of Scotts Turf Builder Southern Lawn Fertilizer covers 10,000 sq. ft., making it a cost-effective solution for large lawns.
In conclusion, we highly recommend the Scotts Turf Builder Southern Lawn Fertilizer for Southern grass. It is a reliable and effective fertilizer that will give you a lush, green lawn in no time.
If you’re looking for a durable and drought-resistant grass seed, the Scotts Turf Builder Grass Seed Bermudagrass with Fertilizer and Soil Improver is a great choice.
- The Root-Building Nutrition formula helps establish deep roots for a stronger, greener lawn.
- This grass seed blend is designed for full sun and has high drought resistance with high durability.
- It can be used to seed a new lawn or overseed an existing lawn.
- It needs daily watering until the seedlings reach at least 2 inches tall.
- Best results are achieved when applied in the late spring or early summer.
- It may take some time for the grass to grow to its full potential.
We recently used the Scotts Turf Builder Grass Seed Bermudagrass with Fertilizer and Soil Improver to overseed our lawn, and we were impressed with the results. The grass grew quickly and established deep roots, resulting in a thicker and greener lawn.
One thing we appreciated about this product is its versatility. It can be used to seed a new lawn or overseed an existing lawn, making it a great choice for homeowners looking to improve the look of their lawn.
While the grass did require daily watering until the seedlings reached 2 inches tall, we found that it was worth the effort. The high drought resistance and durability of the grass made it a great choice for our hot and dry climate.
Overall, we would highly recommend the Scotts Turf Builder Grass Seed Bermudagrass with Fertilizer and Soil Improver to anyone looking for a durable and drought-resistant grass seed. Its Root-Building Nutrition formula, combined with its ability to be used for both new lawns and overseeding, makes it a great choice for any homeowner looking to improve the look of their lawn.
If you’re looking for a fertilizer that will help your bermuda grass recover from summer damage, Scotts Turf Builder WinterGuard Fall Lawn Fertilizer is a great choice.
- Builds strong, deep roots for a better lawn next spring
- Delivers the nutrients lawns need to recover from summer heat, drought, and activity
- Can be applied to a wet or dry lawn in the fall, the best time to feed
- May cause burn spots if not watered in properly
- Not a good value for the price
- Fast results may not be noticeable
We’ve used Scotts Turf Builder WinterGuard Fall Lawn Fertilizer on our bermuda grass and have seen great results. The fertilizer helps to build strong, deep roots that will lead to a better lawn next spring. We’ve also noticed that our grass recovers more quickly from summer damage when we use this product.
One thing to keep in mind is that Scotts Turf Builder WinterGuard Fall Lawn Fertilizer may cause burn spots if not watered in properly. Make sure to water your lawn thoroughly after applying the fertilizer to avoid this issue. Additionally, the price of this product may be higher than other fertilizers on the market, so it may not be the best value for everyone.
Overall, we would recommend Scotts Turf Builder WinterGuard Fall Lawn Fertilizer for anyone looking to improve the health of their bermuda grass. Just make sure to follow the instructions carefully and water your lawn after application.
Persist Green Bull – 32oz Liquid Grass Fall Fertilizer Sprayer for Lawn and Garden Soil – Naturally Enhances Green and Creates Nitrogen Rich Plant Soil, Naturally Based Fertilizer for Greener Plants 32oz Sprayer
If you’re looking for a natural fertilizer that works well with bermuda grass, Persist Green Bull is a great option.
- The liquid fertilizer is easy to apply with the hose end sprayer, covering up to 2000 sqft in just 5 minutes.
- The high nitrogen blend promotes greener grass and plants.
- The fertilizer is naturally based and works well with other natural additives like biochar horticultural charcoal.
- The 32oz bottle may not be sufficient for larger lawns.
- Some users have reported difficulty with the sprayer clogging.
- The staining potential of the fertilizer may be a concern for some users.
We recently used Persist Green Bull in our lawn and were impressed with the results. The fertilizer was easy to apply with the hose end sprayer, and we noticed a significant improvement in the color and thickness of our bermuda grass within a few weeks. We appreciated the natural ingredients and the fact that it worked well with biochar horticultural charcoal, which we had previously added to our soil.
One potential downside is that the 32oz bottle may not be enough for larger lawns, so multiple applications or a larger size may be necessary. Additionally, some users have reported issues with the sprayer clogging, which can be frustrating. Finally, the staining potential of the fertilizer may be a concern for some users, so it’s important to be careful when applying it near any surfaces that could be affected.
Overall, we would recommend Persist Green Bull as a natural and effective fertilizer for bermuda grass.
Scotts Turf Builder Triple Action Built For Seeding, Weed Preventer and Fertilizer for New Lawns, 4,000 sq. ft., 17.2 lbs. 4,000 sq. ft. Triple Action
If you want a lush and healthy lawn, then Scotts Turf Builder Triple Action Built For Seeding is the perfect product for you. It is designed to be used when planting new grass and is ideal for newly seeded, overseeded, or newly planted Kentucky Bluegrass, Tall Fescue, Perennial Ryegrass, Centipedegrass, and Fine Fescues.
- Prevents dandelion, crabgrass, clover, chickweed, ground ivy, henbit, and nutsedge
- Jumpstarts grass development and feeds to protect against heat and drought
- Covers 4,000 sq. ft. with one 17.2 lb. bag
- Not available in FL or CA
- Does not include seed
- May not kill existing weeds
We recently used Scotts Turf Builder Triple Action Built For Seeding on our newly seeded lawn and were impressed with the results. The product prevented dandelion and crabgrass for up to 6 weeks without harming new grass, jumpstarted grass development so it established thicker and quicker, and fed to protect against heat and drought. We also noticed that other weeds such as clover, ground ivy, chickweed, henbit, and nutsedge were prevented.
The application process was easy and straightforward. We applied the pre-emergent weed killer plus lawn fertilizer to a dry lawn when temperatures were consistently between 60°F and 90°F. We used a Scotts spreader and followed the recommended settings of 4 ½ for broadcast/rotary spreaders, 7 for drop spreaders, and 4 ¾ for the Wizz. We then lightly watered in to activate the product.
Overall, we highly recommend Scotts Turf Builder Triple Action Built For Seeding for anyone looking to grow a healthy and weed-free lawn. It is a great investment that will pay off in the long run.
If you’re looking for a fast-growing and hardy bermudagrass, Scotts Turf Builder Rapid Grass Bermudagrass is a great option.
- This product is a combination of grass seed and fertilizer, which results in full, green grass that can withstand tough conditions.
- It grows grass up to 2X times faster than seed alone (when applied at the new lawn rate, subject to proper care).
- It’s great for large problem areas in your lawn and establishing new grass.
- This product may not work as well in shady areas.
- Some customers have reported that not all of the seeds germinated.
- It may be more expensive than other bermudagrass fertilizers.
We recently used Scotts Turf Builder Rapid Grass Bermudagrass on our lawn and were pleased with the results. Within a week, we noticed new growth in areas that had previously been bare. After a few weeks, our lawn was full and green, and it has held up well even in hot and dry conditions.
One thing to note is that this product is best used in areas that receive plenty of sunlight. We noticed that the areas of our lawn that were shaded did not grow as well as the areas that received full sun. Additionally, while most of the seeds did germinate, there were a few areas where we did not see any growth.
Overall, we would recommend Scotts Turf Builder Rapid Grass Bermudagrass to anyone looking for a fast-growing and hardy bermudagrass. Just be sure to use it in areas that receive plenty of sunlight and follow the instructions carefully for best results.
If you’re looking for an all-in-one fertilizer for your lawn, we highly recommend the Turf Titan Lawn Commander. This liquid fertilizer is designed to work on all grass types and lawns, and it’s expertly crafted to provide essential nutrients that promote a robust soil profile and keep your grass green and vibrant.
- Lawn Commander is formulated with a perfect blend of nutrients and micronutrients, including humates, slow-release nitrogen, and soluble potash, providing everything your lawn needs for better growth, greening, and stress resilience.
- The concentrated formula covers 8,000 sq. ft. on all grass types, making it easy to achieve a lush green lawn. Unlike other brands, our product requires movement for complete coverage.
- The product is easy to use with a shake well before using and connecting the Turf Titan sprayer nozzle to your hose for Hose-End application. Safe for family and pets when used as directed. Apply every 4-6 weeks and water lawn for 20 minutes after use.
- The product requires movement for complete coverage, so it may take a bit more effort to ensure your lawn is fully covered.
- You may need to apply the product every 4-6 weeks to keep your lawn looking its best, which could be a bit more frequent than other fertilizers.
- If you have an area of compacted soil, this product may not be as effective.
We used the Turf Titan Lawn Commander on our lawn and were impressed with the results. After just a few weeks, our grass was noticeably greener and more vibrant. The product was easy to apply with the hose-end sprayer, and we appreciated that it was safe for our family and pets. We did notice that we needed to move the sprayer around a bit to ensure complete coverage, but the effort was worth it for the results we saw.
Overall, we highly recommend the Turf Titan Lawn Commander for anyone looking for an effective and easy-to-use fertilizer for their lawn. With its high-quality ingredients and concentrated formula, it’s sure to help your lawn thrive.
When it comes to choosing the best fertilizer for Bermuda grass, there are a few key factors to consider. Here are some features to look for when selecting a product:
The nutrient composition of the fertilizer is an important factor to consider. Bermuda grass requires a balance of nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium to grow healthy and strong. Look for a fertilizer that contains a balanced ratio of these nutrients, such as a 3-1-2 or 4-1-2 ratio.
A slow-release fertilizer is preferable for Bermuda grass, as it delivers nutrients gradually over time. This helps to prevent excessive growth spurts and reduces the risk of burning the grass with too much fertilizer. Look for a product that specifies a slow-release formulation on the label.
In addition to the main macronutrients, Bermuda grass also benefits from a range of micro-nutrients such as iron, manganese, and zinc. These nutrients are important for maintaining healthy growth and preventing disease. Look for a fertilizer that includes a range of micro-nutrients in the formulation.
Organic vs. Synthetic
Fertilizers can be either organic or synthetic in nature. Organic fertilizers are made from natural materials such as compost, manure, and bone meal. Synthetic fertilizers are made from chemical compounds. Both types can be effective for Bermuda grass, but organic fertilizers tend to be slower acting and less concentrated than synthetic fertilizers.
By considering these factors when choosing a fertilizer for Bermuda grass, you can ensure that you select a product that will promote healthy growth and maintain the overall health of your lawn.
Frequently Asked Questions
What type of fertilizer promotes a thicker and greener Bermuda grass lawn?
To promote a thicker and greener Bermuda grass lawn, we recommend using a fertilizer that is high in nitrogen. Look for a fertilizer with a nitrogen content of at least 50%. Additionally, choose a slow-release fertilizer to ensure that the nutrients are released over a longer period of time.
Is liquid fertilizer effective for Bermuda grass maintenance?
Yes, liquid fertilizer can be effective for Bermuda grass maintenance. Liquid fertilizers are quickly absorbed by the grass, and they can provide a quick boost of nutrients. However, liquid fertilizers may need to be applied more frequently than granular fertilizers.
How should I fertilize Bermuda grass during the summer months?
During the summer months, we recommend using a slow-release fertilizer to avoid burning the grass. Apply the fertilizer in the early morning or late evening to avoid the heat of the day. Water the grass after fertilizing to ensure that the nutrients are absorbed properly.
Can I use a 16-4-8 fertilizer blend for my Bermuda grass, and what are the benefits?
Yes, a 16-4-8 fertilizer blend can be used for Bermuda grass. This blend contains a higher nitrogen content, which promotes healthy growth and a greener lawn. Additionally, the lower phosphorus content helps prevent excessive thatch buildup.
What are the specific fertilizer requirements for Bermuda grass in different states like Arizona and Oklahoma?
The fertilizer requirements for Bermuda grass can vary depending on the climate and soil conditions in different states. In general, we recommend using a slow-release fertilizer with a high nitrogen content during the growing season. However, it’s important to consult with a local expert to determine the specific fertilizer requirements for your area.
What does a 10-10-10 fertilizer blend do for Bermuda grass, and is it recommended?
A 10-10-10 fertilizer blend contains equal amounts of nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium. While this blend can provide balanced nutrition for Bermuda grass, it may not be the best choice for promoting healthy growth and a greener lawn. We recommend using a fertilizer with a higher nitrogen content for best results.