Insects are a common nuisance, especially during the warmer months. They can make outdoor activities unbearable, and their bites can cause itching, swelling, and even transmit diseases. Insect repellents are a popular solution to this problem, as they help keep bugs away.
When it comes to choosing the best insect repellent, there are several factors to consider. The type of insect you are trying to repel, the length of time you will be outdoors, and the potential side effects of the repellent are all important considerations.
The most common types of insect repellents are those that contain DEET, picaridin, or natural ingredients like citronella, lemongrass, and peppermint. DEET is the most effective repellent and is recommended for areas with high mosquito populations or where there is a risk of insect-borne diseases. Picaridin is a newer option that is less toxic than DEET but is still effective against mosquitoes and ticks. Natural repellents are a good alternative for those who prefer to avoid chemicals, but they may not be as effective as DEET or picaridin.
When choosing an insect repellent, it’s important to consider the concentration of the active ingredient, as well as any potential side effects. Higher concentrations of DEET or picaridin provide longer-lasting protection but can also cause skin irritation or allergic reactions. Natural repellents are generally considered safe, but some people may be allergic to certain plant extracts.
We tested several insect repellents to identify the ones that provide the best protection without causing adverse effects. Our top picks include a DEET-based spray for high-risk areas, a picaridin-based lotion for sensitive skin, and a natural repellent with a pleasant scent. Keep reading to find out which insect repellent is right for you.
Best Insect Repellents
We all love spending time outdoors, but pesky insects can make it unbearable. That’s why we’ve compiled a list of the best insect repellents to keep you protected against mosquitoes, ticks, and other biting bugs. Our team has tested and researched various products to bring you the most effective and reliable options on the market. Whether you’re camping, hiking, or simply enjoying a backyard BBQ, these insect repellents will ensure you have a comfortable and bug-free experience.
If you’re looking for a safe, long-lasting, and effective insect repellent spray, we highly recommend the Sawyer Products SP5432 Picaridin Insect Repellent Spray. It’s perfect for outdoor activities like camping, hiking, and fishing, as well as everyday use.
- This insect repellent spray is safe for use on the whole family and deters a wide variety of pests, including mosquitoes, ticks, flies, gnats, and chiggers, for up to 12 hours against mosquitoes and ticks and up to 8 hours against flies, gnats, and chiggers.
- The fragrance-free topical insect repellent contains 20% Picaridin, which is more effective at repelling biting flies than DEET. It also repels disease-spreading ticks (Lyme, tick-borne encephalitis) and mosquitoes (West Nile, Dengue, and Zika viruses), chiggers, and more.
- It’s very comfortable to wear on your skin, and won’t leave a greasy residue. It dries quickly and won’t damage plastics or synthetic coatings, making it safe for use on clothing, backpacks, watches, sunglasses, fishing line, firearm finishes, and more.
- Some users have reported that the spray nozzle can be difficult to use, and that the spray sometimes comes out in a stream rather than a mist.
- The spray can be a bit greasy, which may bother some users.
- The price point may be higher than other insect repellent sprays on the market.
We’ve used the Sawyer Products SP5432 Picaridin Insect Repellent Spray on several camping trips and outdoor activities, and it’s always kept the bugs at bay. It’s easy to apply and doesn’t leave a greasy residue, which is a plus. However, we did notice that the spray nozzle can be a bit difficult to use, and the spray sometimes comes out in a stream rather than a mist. Overall, we highly recommend this insect repellent spray for anyone looking for a safe and effective way to keep pests away.
If you’re looking for a natural insect repellent that actually works, Murphy’s Naturals Lemon Eucalyptus Oil Insect Repellent Spray is a great choice.
- Protects against mosquitoes for up to 6 hours without any nasty chemicals like DEET
- Protects against ticks for up to 4 hours, including deer ticks, lone star ticks, and brown dog ticks
- Harnesses the power of natural plant-based ingredients, including 30% oil of lemon eucalyptus, 70% distilled water, and ethanol made from corn
- The scent can be strong and overpowering for some people
- The spray nozzle can be difficult to use at times, and the spray can be uneven
- The protection may not last as long as advertised, especially in heavily infested areas
We recently used this insect repellent on a camping trip and were pleasantly surprised by how well it worked. We applied it to our skin and gear and didn’t have any issues with mosquitoes or ticks for several hours. The spray is easy to apply, although the nozzle can be a bit finicky at times. The scent is a bit strong, but not unpleasant, and it fades after a while.
One thing to keep in mind is that the protection may not last as long as advertised, especially if you’re in a heavily infested area. We found that we needed to reapply the spray every few hours to maintain the same level of protection.
Overall, we would definitely recommend Murphy’s Naturals Lemon Eucalyptus Oil Insect Repellent Spray to anyone looking for a natural and effective insect repellent.
Ranger Ready Picaridin Insect Repellent Spray with Scent Zero – Mosquito Repellent and Tick Spray (3.4 oz., Pack of 2)
If you’re looking for an effective insect repellent that doesn’t have an unpleasant smell, Ranger Ready Picaridin Insect Repellent Spray with Scent Zero is a great option.
- This product is virtually odorless, which is great for those who are sensitive to strong smells.
- It’s effective against a variety of biting insects, including mosquitoes and ticks.
- The natural material feature of this product makes it a great choice for those who are looking for a more eco-friendly option.
- This product stays wet and oily for quite a while before it dries, which can be inconvenient.
- It’s important to store this product in a liquid-tight container, as it can cause colors to bleed if it gets on clothing or gear.
- It’s unclear how toxic this product is compared to other insect repellents on the market.
We’ve used Ranger Ready Picaridin Insect Repellent Spray with Scent Zero on several occasions and have been impressed with its effectiveness. It’s great to be able to enjoy the outdoors without being constantly bothered by biting insects, and the fact that this product doesn’t have a strong odor is a definite plus.
One thing to keep in mind is that this product can be quite oily and take a while to dry. We’ve found that it’s best to apply it well before heading outdoors to give it time to dry and avoid getting it on clothing or gear.
Overall, we would definitely recommend Ranger Ready Picaridin Insect Repellent Spray with Scent Zero to anyone looking for an effective and eco-friendly insect repellent.
We highly recommend OFF! Clean Feel Insect Repellent Aerosol for anyone looking for a reliable and easy-to-use insect repellent spray that feels great on the skin.
- The non-greasy and lightweight formula dries quickly and is not sticky, making it comfortable to wear for extended periods.
- The long-lasting protection lasts up to 8 hours, providing ample protection against mosquito bites, ticks, and biting flies.
- The odorless formula makes it ideal for individuals who are sensitive to strong scents.
- The aerosol spray can be difficult to apply in windy conditions, making it challenging to achieve full coverage.
- The spray can leave a slight residue on clothing, so it’s best to avoid spraying directly on clothes.
- The aerosol can is not environmentally friendly, so it’s important to dispose of it properly after use.
We found that OFF! Clean Feel Insect Repellent Aerosol was easy to apply and provided long-lasting protection against mosquitoes and other biting insects. The formula is not greasy or sticky, making it comfortable to wear for extended periods. The odorless scent is a plus for individuals who are sensitive to strong smells. The only downside is that the aerosol spray can be challenging to apply in windy conditions, and the spray can leave a slight residue on clothing. Overall, we highly recommend this product for anyone looking for a reliable and easy-to-use insect repellent spray.
Protect yourself and your family from mosquitoes, ticks, and biting flies with OFF! Clean Feel Insect Repellent Aerosol. This bug spray with 20% picaridin gives you proven protection that lasts for up to 8 hours, without damaging your clothing. Its odorless, non-greasy, and lightweight formula feels good on skin and dries quickly, making it perfect for everyday use.
- The non-greasy, lightweight spray dries quickly and is not sticky, making it easy to apply and use.
- The long-lasting protection lasts up to 8 hours, keeping you protected from mosquito bites day or night.
- The odorless formula makes it perfect for everyday use and does not leave any unpleasant scent behind.
- The aerosol spray can be a bit challenging to use in windy conditions.
- The bug spray is not effective against all types of insects.
- The can may run out quickly if used frequently.
We recently used OFF! Clean Feel Insect Repellent Aerosol on a camping trip and were impressed with its effectiveness. The bug spray protected us from mosquito bites and other insects, and its lightweight formula felt good on our skin. We also appreciated that it did not leave any unpleasant scent behind and dried quickly, making it easy to apply and use.
Overall, we highly recommend OFF! Clean Feel Insect Repellent Aerosol for anyone looking for a reliable and effective bug spray for everyday use. Its proven protection, odorless formula, and non-greasy, lightweight spray make it a great choice for outdoor activities and everyday moments.
When it comes to choosing the best insect repellent, there are several factors to consider. Here are some features to look for when selecting an insect repellent:
The active ingredient in an insect repellent is the chemical that repels insects. Look for products that contain DEET, picaridin, IR3535, or oil of lemon eucalyptus. These ingredients have been proven to be effective in repelling mosquitoes, ticks, and other insects.
The concentration of the active ingredient is an important factor to consider. Higher concentrations provide longer protection, but also increase the risk of skin irritation. Choose a concentration based on your needs and the length of time you will be outdoors.
Insect repellents come in various forms, including sprays, lotions, and wipes. Choose a product that is easy to apply and fits your lifestyle. For example, if you are an avid hiker, a spray may be more convenient than a lotion.
The duration of protection provided by an insect repellent is an important consideration. Look for products that provide long-lasting protection, especially if you will be spending extended periods of time outdoors.
Some insect repellents also offer additional features, such as sunscreen or a pleasant scent. Consider these features when selecting a product, but remember that the primary function of the repellent is to protect against insects.
By considering these factors, you can choose the best insect repellent for your needs and enjoy your time outdoors without the annoyance of insects.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the safest mosquito repellents for children?
When it comes to children, it’s best to choose a repellent with a lower concentration of active ingredients. DEET-based repellents with a concentration of 10% or less, picaridin-based repellents with a concentration of 20% or less, and oil of lemon eucalyptus-based repellents with a concentration of 30% or less are generally considered safe for children.
How does picaridin compare to DEET in effectiveness against ticks?
Picaridin and DEET are both effective against ticks, but DEET tends to last longer. Picaridin is a good alternative for those who are sensitive to DEET or prefer a milder scent.
What DEET concentration is most effective for mosquito protection?
DEET-based repellents with a concentration of 30% or higher are most effective for mosquito protection. However, higher concentrations can also increase the risk of skin irritation or other side effects.
Which insect repellents are best for treating large outdoor areas?
For treating large outdoor areas, we recommend using a permethrin-based repellent. Permethrin can be applied to clothing, tents, and other outdoor gear to repel insects and ticks.
What are the top-rated insect repellents for personal skin application?
Some of the top-rated insect repellents for personal skin application include DEET-based repellents, picaridin-based repellents, and oil of lemon eucalyptus-based repellents. It’s important to choose a repellent that is effective against the specific insects you are trying to repel.
What natural ingredient is most effective for repelling insects?
Citronella oil is one of the most effective natural ingredients for repelling insects. Other natural ingredients that may be effective include peppermint oil, lemongrass oil, and cedar oil. However, natural repellents may not be as long-lasting or effective as chemical-based repellents.